Big Brothers Big Sisters of Metro Atlanta matches children ages 6 through 14 with mentors in professionally supported one-to-one relationships. We have volunteer programs in communities across the country — including yours.
When people think of mentoring programs, they think of Big Brothers Big Sisters. As an established youth organization, we’ve worked for more than 100 years to develop youth mentoring programs that work. Our experienced approach to recruiting, screening, matching, and supporting our mentoring relationships has resulted in thousands of lasting relationships and helped change the lives of young people across the country.
A study on the Big Brothers Big Sisters youth organization found that kids matched with a Big Brother or Big Sister:
- Are more confident
- Are more likely to steer clear of drugs and alcohol
- Do better in school
- Get along better with their family and friends
- Feel better about themselves
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Metro Atlanta has a variety of volunteer opportunities available.
Matches come together through our two essential programs:
- Community-based: For as little as an hour a week, Bigs and Littles meet in their community to share fun activities … stories … and a little bit of themselves.
- School-based: Bigs and Littles meet for an hour once a week in schools, libraries, and community centers to talk and have fun. It’s not about being a tutor … it’s about being a friend.
A lot of things have to happen before we make a match. After potential volunteers express an interest, they go through a thorough background check and careful interview process. We then match Bigs and Littles based on location, personalities, and preferences. We provide full support for our volunteer programs along the way — so that matches can grow into lasting friendships.
- More info on volunteering »
- Volunteer now »
- More info on enrolling a child »
- Enroll a child now »
- More info on child safety »
Getting together is a great time for both Bigs and Littles. It doesn’t require a special occasion or expensive activities, just a few hours every month sharing simple things you already enjoy with a young person. Things like….
- Shooting hoops
- Playing a board game
- Sharing a pizza
- Taking a walk in the park
- Or just hanging out and talking
Calls come in every day from parents, teachers, and guidance counselors. They know what a difference a mentor can make in a child’s life. Your gift can help make Big magic for children in your local community by:
- Helping us recruit new Big Brother and Big Sister volunteers
- Ensuring that trained professionals match children with caring and responsible Bigs
- Offering one-to-one, ongoing supervision and support for every match
- Providing cultural and social activities to enrich the opportunities for children